Thursday, December 18, 2008

Live for Today- Worry about Tomorrow when it gets here

Since the beginning of this, I have my good days and I have my bad days. Some say how can ANY day possibly be good? This thought has even come to me on its own. But I stop and look around. I look at my spouse being able to spend time with our children. This was not something that had happened much over the years and I see the sparkle in their eyes. That makes that day a good day. Nothing could replace that.

Several years ago, my husbands father became ill. He required major surgery. The night before the surgery, my husband curled up in my lap and sobbed uncontrollably. This was one of the rare occasions I had seen him cry. The reality of his fathers aging and now illness had hit him like a ton of bricks. When I asked him why he was crying he said "Something could happen to him and I don't even know him." As a child, his father worked day and night at the plant to make sure the family was taken care of and had everything they wanted. As my husband grew, he did what most of us are guilty of- he found himself consumed with the events in his own life and never took the time to enjoy the wisdom and company of his father. As time went on, he continued to be caught up in his own life. His father has since recovered but that was a turning point for our household. It was then we began to realize how precious time is and we need to seize every day to the fullest. We still don't do as well with it as we would like. It takes effort and the will to MAKE the time.

I recently read a book by Mitch Albom entitled Tuesdays With Morrie Some of you may have read it or seen the movie. For those of you who have not here is a quick summary: Morrie Schwartz was a real man who shared his illness and journey to death with the world. Ted Koppel featured Morrie on "Nightline" twice. Morrie was Mitch's teacher and mentor in college. Then "life" happened. Mitch became so consumed in his own quest for the all mighty dollar he lost sight of what mattered. Until one night he saw Morrie with Ted Koppel on the 1st installment. Morrie was dying of ALS (Lou Gehrig's). Mitch decided to reconnect with his old friend before it was too late. Even in dying, Morrie continued to teach Mitch lessons that we should all heed while we are still living. The irony in this story in relation to ours: During the course of the story the writers at the Detroit Free Press went on strike. Instead of sitting around the house, Mitch took this time to experience the moments he was too busy for before. Here is a clip from the beginning of the movie:



I am still working on the blog I promised last night- don't think I have forgotten. That one is just a little more in depth than I originally anticipated

No comments: