Friday, January 9, 2009

The Future is bright...

So I have spent the last 3.5 months posting my thoughts, opinions etc. here and have heard from many of you on it. Thanks to all of you for your encouragement and words of appreciation. While I do not feel I have done anything "spectacular" it is nice to know somebody out there appreciates it.

One of the questions in my inbox the other day was the fact that I do not post about my "bad days". I have them just like the rest of you. I have my early morning cries as I lay in the bed. But I have to dig deep and put on my "big girl panties" and face the world. It is not going to go away just because I am having a bad day. I have my bad nights too (last night being one of them). It helps to vent and let it out. It doesn't fix it but sure does make me feel better. I use various sources to vent my frustrations. I have a friend who I am sure is TOTALLY over me "dumping" on them although they continue to insist they do not mind. I am sure that like me, many of you tend to pull away from your spouse during these moments. After all, they have enough stress on them without having to hear our crap, right? WRONG!!! Now more than ever we need to be able to lean on our spouses. We need to know that everything we are feeling is OK and that we are not alone in the flood of emotions that pass through us each day. E-mail is a wonderful way to vent. You can sit at the computer and just let the tears and anger out while you unload into your message. I hope you all know that my e-mail is open to you if you need that outlet.

So why did I pick today's title? Because things are looking up. Not just for me but for all of us.

Tax time is right around the corner. Most people dread filing their taxes. This year I can't wait to do it!! Most of us are now in lower tax liability brackets because we made less money due to the strike. Our "obligations" and "dependents" did not go down in most cases. In some cases they actually increased. This will allow for bigger refunds for those of us who overpay our taxes or less money we will have to pay if we failed to pay enough. Ummm how can I say this part nicely....DO NOT GO TO AN INCOME TAX SERVICE FOR QUICK MONEY UNLESS YOU HAVE REALLY COMPLEX TAX ISSUES!! Most of us can file on Turbo Tax for a lot less money and it does not take long to get your money back!! If you file on the 1040 or the 1040EZ and do not have deductions to take(such as homeowner etc.) it is FREE!! Most other forms or itemized filings are $29.95. The IRS direct deposits into your account within 10 days of accepting your return. They also only direct deposit on Fridays so it could actually be less than 10 days!! For example: If you filed your taxes today (which you can't so don't even try lol) 10 business days would be the 23rd which is a Friday. That is when you would get your check. But if you file on Monday the 12th, 10 business days would be the 26th. The IRS would still direct deposit your refund on the 23rd since that is the Friday within the 10 day period. I have volunteered to assist anyone who needs it with getting their taxes filed this way. I also have a friend who works for an accountant who is willing to help us out with this. She is used to filing corporate taxes so ours will be no problem.

Oh let's talk about the letter we all received. There has been talk about it on other blogs and I posted the same response there that I am posting now:
Because this strike is NOT strictly economic the NLRB/Mackay "precedent" CAN NOT be used. In general, an employer may not offer employment to permanent replacements on better terms than it has offered to the union.(5) An employer, moreover, does not have the unlimited ability to hire (or threaten to hire) permanent replacements for strikers. Permanent replacements can only be hired if a strike is deemed an “economic strike,” i.e., a strike intended to force employer compliance with the union's legitimate bargaining demands. An employer can't hire (or threaten to hire) permanent replacements in the context of an “unfair labor practice strike” or a lockout. Additionally, an economic strike can be “converted” into an unfair labor practice strike at any time during the labor dispute. Furthermore, What this means is that employers who wish to preserve the option to hire permanent replacements are mindful of the importance of resolving doubts in favor of actions that demonstrate their good faith in bargaining and otherwise lawful conduct.(http://www.lera.uiuc.edu/Pubs/Perspectives/on... )

The NLRB can determine Vought's leaving without any "discussion" at the 2 previous meetings as NOT negotiating in good faith. Had they not walked out the circumstances may be different but they are not.If Vought comes to the table on Tuesday the 13th with the same mentality they did in the previous 2 meetings this will only delay the hiring of "replacement workers". I have no knowledge that this is what they intend to do and am only letting history speak for itself in making this assumption. We want to come back to work under fair contract conditions. Nobody has ever disputed that fact. Vought needs employees to build their products. They have made this apparent by sending out the letter. The logical thing to transpire at this point would be for an actual round of GOOD FAITH negotiations on both sides Tuesday. Vought's customers will not stand for another 3 month "learning" curve (I say 3 months based solely on the amount of time we have been out- might be more might be less. Either way it is not fair to the customer). Many of the contractors will not convert to direct hire. Some might but most of them do not want to take the ridiculous pay cut they would face. It is just the greed in their nature.

Next topic.....THERE ARE JOBS OUT THERE!!! I know many of us looked when the strike first began only to be told companies were not hiring. This is actually common for companies to implement a "hiring freeze" during the last quarter of the calendar year so they can budget for the following year. But the jobs are now out there. They may not be the most spectacular or may not have the most ideal hours but they are there. Go back to where you have already been and re-apply. Most companies only keep applications 60 days so you will need to update them at this point. A lot of companies can also be applied to right online. There are many out there who would even work with your regular work schedule when this is all over. They need dependable hardworking employees now that the holidays season is over. They need people who can work any hours (this rules out the teen-agers who have restrictions under the law). Applying for jobs is also a lot easier if you upload a resume to websites like www.careerbuilder.com www.monsters.com etc. By uploading your resume to these sights you can apply for jobs with the click of a button and it makes it accessible for potential employers to find you.

Wow! This was a long one!!I have plenty more to say but think I will end this for now.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!!

~TS1~
ts1_2008@hotmail.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you TS1!
Seems I always feel better after reading one fo your blogs... You have a way of making things seem so less bleak!!!

Thanks again,
Standing Strong with my brothers & sisters